Monday, January 08, 2007

Sad news....

I am sad to say that I will no longer be offering freebies on my blog at this time. Before I went to bed last night I looked and saw that I had over 900 downloads on that latest freebie, the Valentine's Kit, and got up this morning and it was well over 6500...yes, 6500 downloads. My husband has been telling me for a while now I need to go back to selling as it's obvious my work is liked, if that many people are downloading it, he felt I could be making some money again. Well, I didn't want to sell and just wanted to be able to give away my work as I felt like it. However, when I saw my kit had been downloaded over 6500 times this morning, I went and removed the link from the entry in my blog. Imagine my surprise when I saw that despite taking the link out of my blog and having not posted it anywhere else, it was STILL being downloaded. That says to me that someone has taken my link and distributed it elsewhere for it to still be downloaded. The kicker was I placed a password on the kit and it was STILL being downloaded, which further says someone has hacked into my work and people were still downloading it. That is when I decided I would no longer be making and giving away freebies. While the kit was free, it did not give a stranger the right to take that link and widely distribute it nor does it give someone the right to hack a password and continue to download my work. I have to wonder if my work is being pirated and if someone else is claiming it as their own as well. If I find this is the case, I will work on having charges brought against the person(s). Just because something is free, it does not give another person the right to redistribute said work or claim it as their own. I am highly disappointed this morning in the actions of some people within the scrapping community. I feel very violated to think that someone has hacked my server and was still downloading my work and was even still downloading my prior freebies which were no longer available. This really makes me sad and a part of me has lost my faith in humanity and thinking that most people know right from wrong.

I thank you to those that have come here and legitimately downloaded my work, enjoyed my work, and given me the credit for it. For those that felt the need to steal my freebies, I feel sorry for you that you have such little respect for your fellow scrappers.

Erin

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, it is sad as I had not downloaded this freebie and due to some unhealthy individules (sp) I won't be able too. I always came to your Blog to see what you have written about and yes to get your freebie's. Your kits are a fine piece of art. I will miss them greatly.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very sad that some people have no moral standards at all !!!

I wish you the best of luck in selling your great stuff.

4:06 PM  
Blogger An said...

Im so sorry this is happend to you. This is not right at all.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I agree.. just pathetic that some ppl go to so much trouble to be ignorant and selfish.

Best of luck selling your gorgeous kits, as I am sure you could do well selling them.

On a side note though.. I would like to say that it took me like 10 attempts to download your kit. I wonder if anyone else had this problem with that download server... and if it messed up the real numbers of how many times it really was downloaded.

Thank you so much for sharing your time and talent.

Lise :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger katg1006 said...

Erin ((hugs)) I know how you feel. Over Christmas I made a gift for some friends and was in the process of uploading it to 4shared when to my surprise it was being downloaded multiple times. How they had access to my site floored me. I didn't have any other items that would have given them access and I also PW protected this item. I was throughly destroyed that someone would *STEAL* yes it is stealing. I never offered it as a freebie - no one even knew about it. *sigh* I feel you anguished..it's such a shame what people will do. I want to thank you for all the lovely freebies that you did make! I very much appreciated them. Good Luck on selling again - I am sure you be successful!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Neverland Scraps said...

Erin Im so sorry that someone would do such a thing, what do they gain when they steal--nothing, its not their design, they can't take credit, so why bother?! That's just so wrong. Im sorry this is happening and I wish you the best of luck selling. Your designs are great and any store would take you in a heartbeat, you are an awesome designer!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I'm so sorry that someone did this to you, Erin. How rotten. :( I do hope you are seriously considering getting back into selling. That would be great!

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry...some people have no shame...
I want to thank you for all the lovely freebies (and not only) which you created. You are a wonderful designer..

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home